Thursday, September 20, 2007

Spirituality vs Religion


One of the questions in my course this week was "Is spirituality different from religion and if so how?"

My answer is yes. To me religion is more like a practice, or set of practices. It has specific rules, rituals and it's own hierarchy. Spirituality on the other hand is more of a relationship.

To put it another way, spirituality is like breathing. Religion might define how, when and where I breathe but it is spirituality that is the breath.

How do you define spirituality and religion? Are they one and the same for you?

(image - my first Zentangle - created Sep 19/07) * o
Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

Lori said...

That's a great description. For me, spirituality is understanding the God within. We are all part of God and in turn, possessing His spirit inside us. Much different approach than my Catholic upbringing! LOL I think it's healthy to balance both perspectives.

Nice blog. As someone who's absolutely smitten with your province, I'll certainly be back. :)

Eveline Maedel said...

Thanks Lori :)

And I agree, definitely healthy to have balance.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this "doodling"...organized, balanced, variety of shapes and lines,very neat...Almost NOT a doodling! :):)

simonne