Thursday, December 29, 2005

Prayers for 2006


A good friend gave me the prayer box shown here for Christmas. You are supposed to fill the little box with your prayers. The top is inscribed "Faith is the substance of things hoped for..." (Heb. 11:1). I have a feeling the prayer box will not take long to fill.

Some years go by without much of a blip on the screen. Things run smoothly and nothing much changes. Other years, the changes come fast and furious leaving you feeling like you've ridden a monster roller-coaster. If early premonitions turn out to be correct, this is going to be one of those years. At least, I believe we are in for a lot of ups and downs.

I don't "do" new year resolutions. Mostly because I know I won't stick to them. Instead this year I'm starting a tradition of new year prayers. I want to list the things that I'm praying for this year, so here they are:

Lord I pray for courage to handle all the changes that will come my way this year. I pray for my trust in you to deepen, and conviction that you are working all things out for the good of those who place their faith in you.

I pray for compassion and wisdom for friends who are hurting. Help me to be a loving, listening friend. Guard my tongue from judgement and gossip. Help me to forgive those I need to forgive and grant me kindness.

I pray for health and the commitment to look after myself - to eat better and take better care of my body. I pray for the healing of loved ones, and for spiritual healing.

I pray for my children - that they will stay healthy, that they will have a good year in school, that they will continue to grow to be compassionate and caring individuals.

I pray for my marriage - that it will continue to be blessed and we will remain strong in our partnership, caring for each other and our children.

I pray for my writing - that I will use my gifts for you, that I will nurture the creative spirit.

I pray for quiet times spent with you. I long to deepen our relationship - help me to fuel the desire to put you first.

And lastly, I pray that I will return to these prayers throughout the year as I weather all that life throws my way. I pray I won't forget what I've asked for this year, and that I will recognize you in the daily workings of my life.

Amen. * o
Share/Save/Bookmark

4 comments:

Queen Jaw Jaw said...

Evie, I love the prayer box. What a beautiful and thoughtful gift. And what a wonderful idea to put forth our prayers for the year and then revisit them from time to time. You have inspired me to do the same.

Rhodi Alers de López said...

Dear Evie: I've never seen a prayer box like that before, but it is certainly beautiful and it is a special gift.

Yours is a beautiful prayer that the Lord will be pleased to answer, I'm sure. Posting it will definitely inspire many others.

I have written a few of my prayers now 7 than, but I am trying to start a prayer journal this year, which should include what I pray for and the answers that I receive.

Eveline Maedel said...

JJ and Rhodi - thanks! You are both such an encouragement to me.

Rhodi, I'm sure the prayer journal will be a blessing to you.

Anonymous said...

I have something a bit similar to the prayer box...It is called "gratitude" box...I write down a few words of the things/persons I am grateful for...cause sometime I forget...

simonne